Thursday, March 24, 2011

Thursday: Community

welcome to thursday of the BSU Blogfest!

today's theme is Community

what I love most about Bridgewater is the sense of community I feel in every aspect of my life here.

let's do a little compare and contrast from BSU and college #1.
at college #1 I didn't feel like I was a part of the campus. from the moment I moved in to the minute I left. I felt like a stranger at my own school.
the dorm I lived in was not a cheerful place. the RAs didn't decorate the halls with certain themes, there weren't programs for us to go to in the dorm. the only part of that dorm that felt welcoming was my room. my roommate and I decorated a large majority of our walls, we had photos and posters on the walls. it was the only place I felt comfortable.
the classrooms felt like cells. little light, little color. large shades on the windows. I did my best to learn, but I didn't feel a connection to the professors. I didn't feel like I could visit them in their offices for help.
the clubs and organizations on campus felt closed off. I didn't feel like anyone wanted me to be a part of their organization. I was a part of one organization for my first semester, but had no connections to make me want to go back for the second semester.

whereas at Bridgewater, I already had a certain connection to the school, having visited my friends on the weekends, and seeing the good in it from the start.
I like seeing the decorations hanging on the walls and the themed floors in my residence hall. I love seeing that there is a program to go to, even if I'm not always able to attend. I like knowing that they care about the building even if it means they have to charge us for some missing elevator buttons.
the classrooms are well lit. I feel comfortable being in class. I know I can rely on my professors to help. I know they want their students to succeed.
the clubs and organizations on this campus are more than welcome to accept members. I made a connection and have become very good friends with so many people through Program Committee. I spend time in OSIL because I want to be around this wonderful community of people I've met on campus.

so whether it is from living in the residence hall, to being in the classroom, or what I do when I'm not in class I have always felt like a part of the BSU community. it didn't take me very long to feel that way either. I know my experience at college #1 has made me appreciate this community 10 times more.

sometimes I wonder if everyone feels the way I do about the BSU community. I don't think everyone takes advantage of what is in front of them. there are so many different outlets for the diverse group of students we have here. I wish there was some way we could reach out to every student and find out if they feel like they are a member of the BSU community and if they don't, help them to.
my college experience became so much better after I felt like a part of this campus. I take pride in being a student at BSU and this is because I feel welcome in such a great community.

1 two cents' worth:

Elysie Piecie said...

I'm so glad to hear that you love your college so much. It's hard when you don't feel like you fit in and belong. I'm so glad that you've found this.